What's really helped me this month, besides all of my fabulous friends and family is WALKING! I haven't felt like going to the gym as much, but I always can somehow manage to get a walk in. It got me thinking about how underrated walking is. Here are some of the many benefits of walking:
- You use fat for fuel, so you burn more fat total
- Increase your overall cardiovascular health
- Helps to clear your mind and think more clearly
- Boosts your mood
- All fitness levels can participate
- Whenever I drop my car off to get it washed I take out the stroller and walk for an hour, rather than sitting there waiting for it.
- Instead of meeting friends for lunch or tea, I prefer to go on a walk with them. Then we can catch up, while we workout.
- After dinner my husband and I walk. It gives us time to bond and talk about our day, rather than watching tv.
- While on your lunch break walk to lunch.
Here's a walking workout tip:
*Always walk hills! It helps to bring up your heart rate, so that you burn more calories. Plus it's great for your backside. You get your glutes and your hamstrings really working to help push you up the hills.
*If you prefer to walk on a treadmill then set the treadmill to an incline of 8-10, reduce your speed to 3.2-3.5. Do not hold on to the rails and let your muscles do the work. You will be feeling your butt burn in no time.
So get out and walk! Even if you only have time for 15-20 mins you will feel much better after a quick walk.