Tuesday

How to Be Healthy for the Holidays and All Year Long

We all know it's coming. Big juicy turkey, mashed potatoes, and pies. Not to mention the holiday alcohol. All these holiday treats bring on extra pounds, but they don't have to. There is actually a way to lose weight during the holiday season. Don't feast every day just because is it "the holidays". Eat smart, exercise all season long, and follow the 80/20 rule.

Follow these steps and you will not only lose weight, you will feel great!

Drink 1/2 Your Body Weight in Ounces of Water

Sometimes when we think we are hungry, it is our body crying out for us to drink more water. During the winter months it is easy to skimp on water because it is so cold outside. Commit to drinking 8 glasses of pure water every day this holiday season. Be sure to drink extra water if you choose to indulge in an alcoholic beverage or one of those fancy holiday lattes.


Eat All Day Long

If you starve yourself all day and then go to a holiday party, you'll be sure to sabotage your fitness goals. Instead, eat 5-6 nutrient packed mini meals throughout the day. You'll be less tempted to eat that piece of cake or candy sitting in the break room. When your body is fed throughout the day it will keep your blood sugar balanced. When you get to the holiday party pick 1 or 2 of your favorite goodies and splurge just a little.

Follow the 80/20 Rule

No one is perfect. It is impossible to each perfectly all of the time. Trying to be perfect only results in disordered eating and discouragement over failed diets. Eat organic, fresh, minimally processed foods 80% of the time. The other 20% is where you can enjoy a treat once in a while. Unfortunately in America we eat 20% healthy and 80% nutrient poor, processed foods. That is why we are one of the most unhealthy nations in the world. Follow the 80/20 rule this holiday season and all year long!

Be Active

I know this time of year is hectic. Usually the first thing to go is exercise. If you don't have time to hit the gym, walk (see prior post on walking). Also exercise is cumulative. If you do 10 minute bouts of exercise three times a day it produces the same results as doing 30 minutes at one time. Put on some upbeat music and dance around the house for 10 minutes and repeat.

Follow these steps and you are on your way to achieving your fitness goals to carry you into the New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. Seriously excellent information. Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete

Stay Motivated and Updated!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner