Here are some ways to beat your cravings that actually work!
- Start drinking... lots of water, and tea. A lot of time we are just thirsty, so before you give into your craving drink as much water as possible or try drinking tea. I usually end my night with a cup of green tea and some soy milk which fills me up and prevents me from eating sugar.
- Plan your meals and snacks. If you have something healthy to eat and you are serious about your health then you will most likely stick to your planned meals and snacks. It's when we don't plan ahead and we are starving; that we reach for crappy food.
- Chew some gum. Chewing on something sweet, like gum will help to keep your mouth busy while your craving passes.
- Brush your teeth when you are done eating your meals, so you don't snack on junk when you are already full.
- Be honest with yourself...If you buy crap food and pretend that you are not going to eat it then you are lying to yourself. Do not sabotage all your hard work. Keep junk food out of your house and out of your body.
- Our habits play a huge role in our cravings. You know yourself better than anyone, so stay away from the things that trigger you to crave, or overeat. I know that if I eat fake sugars (equal, splendid, sweet-n-low) that I will later crave real sugar and lots of it. I try to sweeten my foods naturally with Agave Nectar, or honey instead.
- Find a healthy alternative. Try Greek Yogurt with fresh berries, or a couple of ounces of melted dark chocolate and a banana. Berries always seems to satisfy my cravings for sweets.
- Get busy...call a friend, go for a walk, read PLF Posts, and distract yourself. Most cravings last around 5-10 minutes, so wait it out.
- Keep a food journal. Food journals help to keep you on track and aware of what's going into your body. You will be less likely to grab five cookies if you are writing down each cookie, along with the calories.