This chicken is so delicious! When you cook the chicken with high heat first will shrink the skin and seal in all the juices to create an extremely most chicken. Adding the lemon inside the cavity of the chicken will help moisten the chicken and give it just a hint of lemon flavor.
1 Organic or Free Range whole chicken (between 3-4 lbs)
2 Tb olive oil
2 Tb melted Earth balance or butter (preferably from grass-fed cows)
1 1/2 Tb lemon juice
1 1/2 Tb celtic sea salt or regular sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 whole lemon
1. Rinse chicken inside and out well under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel(be sure to remove organs, if any)
2. In a small bowl mix the lemon juice with olive oil and melted butter until blended, then rub all over the chicken.
3. Rub the inside and outside of the chicken with the salt, garlic, and peppers.
4. Using a fork poke holes all over the whole lemon and place inside the chicken cavity.
5. Place the chicken into a baking dish, you can add a little water or broth to keep the pan from smoking.
6. Using a kitchen string tie the legs together tightly.
7. At this point you may cover and refrigerate your chicken for up to but no more than 6 hours.
8. Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
9. Roast the chicken at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and continue roasting for about 40 minutes (or until the internal temperate reaches about 175 to 180 degrees F about 1 hour or a little less).
10. Cover with foil and let sit for 15 minutes before slicing (do not slice before that time or the juices will flow out.)
***PLF Daily Tip***
Try to use organic chicken whenever possible. Conventional chicken vs. organic chicken are almost two different products. You are what you eat and you are what the animal eats. If the animals are given antibiotics and hormones and you eat it, the antibiotics and hormones are passed on to you.