This eggplant dish is not only delicious, it is nutritious. Eggplant is a super food, high in vitamins and minerals. It is in season right now, so this is the best time of year to make this dish. In regular eggplant parmesan, you typically fry the eggplant, this version cuts almost 50% of the fat. This baked version is just as delicious, if not better than its fried counterpart.
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 jars of marinara sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Slice eggplant and spread out on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sweat for 20 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix bread crumbs and 1/2 tsp of dried Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant slices in beaten egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread marinara sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.