Monday

New Favorite Fall Soup

Butternut Squash Soup with Apples, Cranberries and Macadamia Nuts
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 Cups chopped white or yellow onion
  • 1 Tablespoon curry powder (I used also added nutmeg)
  • 3 lbs butternut squash cubed (2 Cups or 16 oz. = 1 lb)
  • 2 Fuji or Macintosh apples cubed
  • 2 Cups chicken stock (sub with veggie stock if you are a vegetarian)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped parsley
  • Dried cranberries
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Water
When I made this I totally cheated!  I went to Trader Joe's and bought the Butternut Squash that is pre-cut.  I also bought the onions pre- cut, so it took less than 5 minutes to prep and about an 1 hour until the soup was done.  So easy and so delicious.
  1. In a big pot or Dutch Oven warm the olive oil, onions and spices,  You want to cook the onions on low for about 15 minutes or until they are soft.
  2. Add the butternut squash, apples, chicken stock, salt, pepper and a little water if needed.  Bring everything to a boil.  Then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer soup for 40 minutes.
  3. While the soup is simmering chop your parsley and get out your blender.
  4. Once the soup is done, allow it to cool for 15 minutes.  Once it has cooled take 80% of the soup and place it into your blender.  Blend it until it has a smooth consistency.  The other 20% of the soup you can mash with a potato masher or whisk.  I like the consistency of my soup to be a little bit chunky. 
  5.  Place all the soup back in the pot or Dutch Oven and add more water to get the right consistency.   Garnish with parsley, a handful of dried cranberries, a handful of macadamia nuts and possibly a little more salt.
* If you are trying to watch your calories then I would omit the olive oil, and nuts.  You can sweat your onions in water and a little chicken stock.


Enjoy! xo Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay Motivated and Updated!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner